Sunday, April 21, 2013

The Final Show

I cant believe the big opening has already come and gone. I have made this project my focus for a year and it is just about time to be done, it's sad. I have a feeling I will be pretty antsy for a while until my next project. Anyway, here are some images from the final display. While I think I could've displayed this project differently, I am content with the result and I think it relayed the goals of my project to people who came to the show.

Now, Im just trying to get the attention of the big power companies I wish I could work for. I have been sending out emails with information about my thesis project and hopefully it will find its way into the hands of the designers I look up to. Ill cross my fingers and keep you posted-cross your too.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Did I Mention?

Temp Tools were featured on design staple, Core77!


More Updates-So Close to the End!

Here are some photos of the final tools in the studio and in action! Finally!

There will be more photos to come of the final display and the completed presentation slideshow that will be playing during the show. Stay tuned!

Friday, April 5, 2013

Falling behind on the blog posts

It's the hectic final stretch of the thesis process and I forgot to write about all of the things that have happened since the last post. After my stiff and skeletal model sketches failed to exude desire in my peers and professors, and frankly me, I went back to try and design a more interesting form based off of my prior model.

After continually adding clay to this Super Sculpey model, I was getting a better idea for what I wanted the tools to look like, what characteristics I wanted their forms to take on. From here, I began to sketch out further iterations of this form, looking to correct any off the bat aesthetic hiccups.

This sketch is what I based my final models off of. With a good deal of modeling help, I was finally able to hold the form in my hand that I had stored in my imagination for weeks, and furthermore I was able to hold a real solid representation of my thesis, the thing that I have been working so hard on the entire year, and now I can actually show people what it looks like, instead of trying to explain it using words. I have to say, it was an excitement that I cannot compare to very many things. To make matters even more satisfying, a friend of mine taught me how to use the new 3D Cube that the design lab across the street purchased this year. So I was able to control when I printed and set the tiny machine up myself, and since it is brand new, I got to use it for free-not a bad deal at all. So here is the first 3d print of my form, and a very happy Hannah if I do say so myself:

This is a short video of how the models were made and some photos of the other complete tool models before any painting:

In addition are some screen shots of the 3D model  in pen outlines

Aside from all this making chaos, I have realized that the final presentation for the show is almost a complete project on its own. I went to the Re-use Center and Salvation Army with a friend and picked up a bunch of camping gear for under $20 as I was planning on setting up a mock camp site to display my pieces in context. This is all the stuff I got, but since these purchases, my goals for presentation have slightly changed-but updates on that will come around some time next week.

Needless to say: I'm not into it, too cluttered and I don't think having the work displayed on the floor sends the right message-but not to worry I already have some ideas up my sleeve...

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Complete Draft Sketches

Here are the final dimensional sketches of my new models, mostly they mirror the original forms but with the new attachments worked in to the bottom.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Here are the new sketches from the model I made this past week. I will get Rhino models made of these and adapted versions of the other tools with these new attachments.

I am planning then, to have these 3d printed instead of molding them. This will allow me to create many versions of the tool in order to determine the best model and create a large volume in a short amount of time. I can then coat these models with the biodegradable material so they look accurate to what they would be if I had molded them using a real world production. This will save me time and heartache when it comes to learning the best way of working with the composite material in a mold application (learning a new material, really getting to know its strengths and weaknesses, has already taken up a lot of my time).

So here are the new sketches and there are more to come tomorrow when I am back in the studio with access to a scanner...

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Final Show Display

For the final show I am looking more now at trade show displays like the ones pictured below, and I hope to include the following:
  • some sort of a cardboard display station
  • posters or real-life representations of the flower growth/material breakdown
  • around 3 sets of tools (3 pieces each)-shown in a store context, camping context (on sticks), and free pieces allowing consumers to come and interact with the tools and fasten them on sticks provided
  • poster in the store front window of Bivouac urging people to go see the show at the  Work gallery (where Im hoping to show my project)